Thursday 10 May 2012

Hurricanes, Gales and Sunny Days

It has been raining all day today. Thankfully I've had to stay in the library revising (although my productivity levels have now, clearly, lowered). Yet, I cannot help but notice how particularly miserable today is. You know when you can't really see the rain, but the minute you step out of the house you get drenched? And the phenomenon of horizontal rain? Precisely. You just know that the saying, "There's no bad weather, just bad attire", has no applicability on a day like this.

I have been in St Andrews for three years, and I am completely honest when I say that I was expecting weather much worse than this before coming. For instance, I was prepared not to see sunshine, ever. I was happily surprised; apparently St Andrews is one of the sunniest places in the UK. However, I was not very happily surprised with the snow situation the first two years. It seems the one thing I really was expecting before coming here, was completely unexpected by the rest of the nation.

Speaking of unexpected weather, however, this year has seriously been the weirdest, meteorologically speaking. Let's begin by mentioning those last days in September, memorable for the fact I went out of the house in just a skirt, and no tights. Now, I know this seems like a very common occurrence around these parts, but I had seriously never ventured outdoors with my bare legs. Hell, I had never even wore shoes with no socks on (as opposed to some people who don't even wear socks in the winter *cough-cough*). It was truly mind blowing to walk around feeling such warmth upon me.

Things were normal for a while after that, and then...the hurricane struck. Thankfully I live in a place where inhabitants possess a sense of humour as weird as mine, yet not even in my most twisted cogitations would I have ever been creative enough to call "a storm with violent winds" Hurricane Scrotum (affectionately, Hurricane 'Bawbag'). Was anyone else stuck in the library when it hit? I remember the announcement about the library closing at 10pm due to "unforeseen weather circumstances" and the windows creaking. I think I am not alone in thinking those couple of days were slightly unnerving.

Then it went crazy again: whoever was lucky enough to be here the first week of spring break knows what I'm talking about. It felt like I was back in Mexico City; not too cold, not too warm, and excessive exposure to the sun's rays did in fact result in getting sun burnt (lobster woman can attest to this matter). But of course, all good things come to an end, and in this case, the week after this incredible, heaven-sent spring atmosphere it began hailing and sloshing and the gales came back in full splendour. Of course, this was the week my best friend came to visit me from Mexico. Good riddance.

It took time getting used to it, but I think I have acclimatised rather well. I mean, I did not pull out my winter coat until December this year (as opposed to my recurring to it in early October during my first year). Still can't walk around bare legged on a night out, but have mastered the art of wearing open shoes and no socks (goodbye ugly, skin-coloured ankle-highs!). What I yet have to master is the glamorous, rain-drenched look: walking into the library looking like a wet (water impregnated, even!) mouse in an over sized raincoat cannot be doing anything good to my impeccable, lady-like appearances.

No comments:

Post a Comment